Coal mining reflects the independent spirit of the region's people. Many southwestern Pennsylvania mines were small family run operations such as Seldom Seen Mine.
Chest Creek Mine 1, once known as Miller Run no.8, is now known as The Seldom Seen Mine. Fred Maurer of Patton opened Miller Run no. 8 in 1939. It was then sold to Andrew Radomsky in 1940. The mine was owned and operated by the Radomsky Family until 1963, when the mine operations were split between tourism and mining operations.
Andrew Radomsky also purchased Miller Run no. 7 in 1940, in which he operated both Miller Run nos.7 and 8 from 1940-41. Miller Run no.8 is about ¼ mile southeast of Miller Run no. 7.
In 1942 Miller Run no.8's production began increasing rapidly and nearly doubled it production in the following year. Andrew Radomsky changed the name of the company from Andrew Radomsky to The Chest Creek Coal Company in 1942. Production remained in the 20,000-ton range throughout the 1940's. In 1951, production peaked when 33,538 tons were shipped by rail. Employee numbers peaked as well this same year, with a total of 37 employees. This was due to the increased demand for coal during the Korean War. Production then started to decline in 1952 with 19,687 tons. Less than 10,000 tons was the production rate over the next three years. Production ranged from 10,000 to 14,000 tons from 1956 till 1962. In 1963 the mine was split between production and tourist activities, this year saw only 775 tons produced and was the last year of production.
The mine was originally operated by mule haulage with the only electric piece of equipment being the pump. Around 1943 the first electric equipment, consisting of a locomotive w/storage battery, and a short wall cutter, was purchased and installed in the mine. The trolley system and conveyor system was installed in the late 1940's.
Since the closing of production in 1963, The Seldom Seen Mine has become a Tourist Mine and is now part of the Path of Progress.